It's Winter in South Africa at the moment, and although there has been warm sunshine during the day, it is still quite chilly. Perfect soup weather!
Last weekend, my Mum, sister and I made this incredibly delicious soup and home made bread for lunch.
We added bacon to the bread for the meat loving farmers in my family, but I think it would be equally delicious without it. I posted a picture of it on Instagram and a number of people asked for the recipe; and so here it is.
The soup is Sarah Graham's one from her book Bitten.
Pea Courgette and Mint Soup
Serves 4-6 | Preparation time 5-10 minutes | Cooking time 20 minutes
1 Tbsp olive oil
4 spring onions (I left these out)
4 leeks, greenest ends removed and roughly sliced (I left these out)
1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
6 medium courgettes, roughly chopped
800 ml vegetable or chicken stock
3 cups frozen peas
4 Tbsp chopped fresh mint
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup fat-free natural yoghurt
a generous pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Heat the olive oil in a large pot, add the spring onions and leeks and fry for 2-3 minutes until softened. Then add in the potato, garlic and courgettes and fry for a further 3 minutes.
2. Add the stock, bring to the boil and then turn down the heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until the potato is soft.
3. Add the peas and simmer for 3 minutes, then remove from the heat. Stir in the mint, lemon or lime juice and most of the yoghurt. Allow to cool for a few minutes and then blend, adding salt, pepper and sugar to taste.
4. Reheat to serve or eat cold as an alfresco option. Garnish with a dollop of the remaining yoghurt, a few whole peas and a little chopped mint and serve with toasted ciabatta or sourdough slices.
And the bread we made from the Springbok Rugby Team's recipe book.
Bacon and Cheddar Bread
1 1/4 cup Self-raising Flour
1/2 t Salt
3 TB Sugar
250g Back Bacon, fried and roughly chopped
1 cup Cheddar cheese, grated
1 TB Freshly chopped Parsley (or 1 1/2 t Dried)
2 TB Sunflower Oil
2 Extra-Large Eggs
3/4 cup Milk
1/2 tin sweetcorn
1. Pre-heat oven to 180 deg C (350 deg F) - Greece a cake pan or loaf pan.
2. Sift the Flour, Salt and Sugar together - Add the Bacon, Cheddar and Parsley and stir to combine.
3. Beat the Oil, Eggs and Milk together in a separate bowl - Add to the Flour mixture and mix well.
4.) Place in the prepared pan and bake 50 - 60 minutes.
Remove from oven, leave to cool in pan for 5 minutes.
I hope that you have a wonderful weekend friends :)